For this afternoon’s Premier League match with Wolves, Ruben Dias and Bernardo Silva have been recalled to City’s starting XI.
Guardiola gives an injury update before the Wolves trip
These were the only changes in the squad that beat Borussia Dortmund Wednesday night. Nathan Ake and Ilkay Gundogan came on the bench. Riyad Mahrez was also on the bench.
Foden and Bernardo made big contributions as substitutes in the second half of that win. They will be featured from the very first whistle today.
Dias was unable to attend this match but will take his place in the defense alongside Manuel Akanji at Molineux. This is Akanji’s Premier League debut, having been confident in his Champions League appearances.
The city is aiming for a fifth win in seven Premier League games this season, as we lay the foundation for our title defense.
City XI: Ederson, Stones, Dias, Akanji, Cancelo, Rodrigo, De Bruyne (C), Bernardo, Foden, Grealish, Haaland.
Submarines: Ortega Moreno, Carson, Walker, Ake, Gundogan, Alvarez, Gomez, Mahrez, Palmer.
Wolves XI: Sa, Jonny Collins, Kilman. Ait-Nouri. Neves (C), Nunes. Moutinho. Guedes. Neto. Podence.
Submarines: Sarkic, Traore, Hwang, Mosquera, Semedo, Toti, Ronan, Bueno, Campbell.
Grealish: My left-wing form won me the move to City
Ederson will resume his position between the sticks with a defense for John Stones, Manuel Akanji, and Ruben Dias ahead of him. Stones will likely continue to play on the right, where he scored Wednesday’s equalizer.
Rodrigo will continue to play at the midfield’s base, a position that he made his own. Bernardo Silva and Kevin De Bruyne will be playing on either side of Rodrigo. Phil Foden will start on the right side of the front three, Jack Grealish on his left, and Erling Haaland in the middle.
The Wolves Projects
The hosts will play a 4-3-3-3 with a Portuguese front 6. Matheus Nunes, Joao Moutinho, Ruben Neves, and Matheus Nunes are capable of holding the ball against any team, while Pedro Neto and Daniel Podence can all play anywhere within the top three – so you’ll have to wait and see what happens.
Diego Costa, a former striker for Chelsea and Atletico Madrid, was not included on the Wolves’ bench.
The England right-back, who was absent from Wednesday’s Champions League match, is now back in the squad. He is fit enough to play on the bench.
John Stones took his absence as a sign of good fortune and gave it all to the job midweek.
Kalvin Phillips and Aymeric Laporte aren’t 100% fit, so they won’t be in the squad.
- The city has won all four of its matches against Wolves by an aggregate score of 13-3, despite having lost the Wolves league meetings in 2019-20.
- Wolves won their 13 Premier League game against Southampton, and now they are looking to win back-to-back league games at home.
- Manchester City has not lost any of their 21 Premier League away matches (W15 D6) since last season’s 1-0 defeat to Spurs.
- Manchester City has the Premier League’s highest shot conversion rate at 19.6% We also have more goals than any other team, scoring 20 goals to an xG score of 13.9 (+6.1).
- Wolves have scored more Premier League goals this season than any other team (3). They also have the lowest shot conversion rate (4%) so far in this season.
- Kevin De Bruyne of Man City has scored more Premier League goals against any team than he has against Wolves (5). He had four such strikes during a 5-1 win last season.
- Manchester City striker Erling Haaland scored in all three Premier League away matches. This is the first time that a player has scored in any of his four Premier League road games.
Hi there, I’m Shakti Makvana. I like to write blogs on Entertainment, Sports, News and Technologies. Thanks for being here today!